Setting Your Attitude for the Day
October 11, 2018
There are a lot of choices we make each day and then there are details about life that come with no choice like who your parents are, what day you were born, or what the weather is going to be like. As humans we have the incredible power of choosing to have a positive outlook or a negative outlook on a daily basis. The result of that choice impacts how the day will play out for you and that choice will also impact how the day will play out for others around you. So, do you want to be viewed as a negative Nancy or a positive Polly? It’s your choice.
Some personality types naturally lean positively or negatively but there are actions that can be taken to guide the mind towards the positive. Try out some of the following exercises to set your attitude in the right direction for the day:
- Wake up at the same time each morning.
- Stretch first thing after waking.
- Stimulate the senses with pleasant sounds like soothing music or birds chirping, delicious smells and tastes, take a warm bath, or sit on the couch and cuddle with a pet or loved one first thing.
- At the end of each day, take a few minutes to organize your thoughts and make a to do list for the next day.
- If you watch the news and there are stories that leave you feeling blue then find one happy story before moving on to the next task.
- Surround yourself with others that see the glass as half full.
- Compliment those you come in contact with.
- Use quiet, alone time to reset your mental outlook if you are feeling like the glass is half empty.
No matter what your routine is for the morning, try to be intentional about incorporating some habits that not only take care of the body but also the mind so your day is nothing but the best it can be!